Thursday, September 19, 2013

Update on the Potted Citrus Trees

The transplant was 10 days ago. The lemon tree seemed to make it through pretty well. It lost maybe 1 leaf. The lime tree had a little more trouble adjusting. It was wilting a little on the top for several days. It would perk right up though when I gave it a little bit more water right around the trunk. I think perhaps that I didn't get the gritty mix up into the roots well enough.

They stayed in filtered sun after the transplant until about 2 days ago when I started leaving them in the sun for a couple hours each day. That was about all they could tolerate before they started showing signs of distress. I have seen new growth on both the lemon and lime trees so I actually fed them with some Foliage Pro.

So today I noticed that some of the leaves on the lemon are turning yellow. There's a larger leaf toward the bottom of the tree and some small ones near the top.


I also noticed that the small walnut sized lemon that has been there since I bought this tree has something on its underside.



I have been thinking for some time now about where I will overwinter them. I think I will put them in the garage with a light since there are no windows in the garage. The corner I will put them in joins the house so I think it will be warm enough for them. I will just have to monitor things.

The plan is to go the cooler temps and less lighting for the key lime and the new Meyer lemon I bought. The first Meyer will probably go upstairs in the laundry room. It has a sunny window, but will probably need supplemental lighting as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment