Sunday, January 26, 2014

More on My Raised Beds

Today was a beautiful day in the high 50s, a little breezy, but lovely weather to be outside. And outside I was, all day. I mixed up all the ingredients to fill my raised beds.

I am following the Square Foot Gardening method this year. I have four 4x4 beds. I am filling them with equal parts vermiculite, peat moss and compost.

I just used my wheel barrel, a garden cart and 5 gallon buckets. I put a bucket full of each ingredient in the wheel barrel and used a hoe to mix it up. My wheel barrel can hold 8 cu ft, but I put about 6 in it so I could have room to mix it up.

Then on to the beds to dump it in. Then repeat about a million times.

Then I covered the beds with plastic to try to keep rain from washing out nutrients. I just stapled it all around the beds. Don't know if that is a good idea or not or if it will even work, but I did it anyway.

I bought some broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower seeds and a little green house thing to start them out. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment