Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Mid-June Garden Update

I thought I would share some pictures of my garden in mid-June.

Here are the sugar baby watermelon and sugar pie pumpkins. They are doing well. That one watermelon is really stunted, don't know why.




My strawberries look good except a few have discolored leaves. I also noticed that some of the berries are misshapen. I'll have to look into both of these things to see what's going on.


This bed has peas, cucumbers and a honeydew on the trellis. The peas are about done, I think. There are only 4 plants, I got about half a sandwich bag of shelled peas. The cucumbers and melon got off to a slow start because I had those huge cauliflower and broccoli shading them.

This bed also has shallots, spinach, lettuce, and carrots. The carrots really didn't do well at all. I think the seed was too old or something, I had poor germination. I harvested most of the spinach. The shallots are just about ready. And the lettuce just keeps going and going. I have harvested a lot of it. There is also a lone poblano pepper. There's some empty space that I should plant something else in, but haven't yet.


This bed has bush beans, which have just started forming. There's banana peppers, bell peppers, Jimmy Nardello peppers and poblano peppers. They all have little peppers on them, I've already picked a banana pepper. There's a couple green onions left, I've harvested several. The bulb onions are about ready. 



There's also the tomato plants which seem quite too bunched up. I think I will only plant 3 in this amount of space next time. I'm not sure about the 2 middle plants, if they are the vining type or not, but I got them tied up anyway. They all have little tomatoes growing on them. The beefsteak on the right has a bunch of yellow leaves. I clipped off some of them already.






Here's a couple pictures of the cabbages, broccoli, banana pepper and a few peas that I harvested.



UPDATE: 19 JUNE 2014
After doing a little research about the yellow leaves on the tomato plants I came to the conclusion that I should be feeding them. I thought so originally and bought some tomato-tone and kelp meal, but then I read that when they are planted in Mel's Mix they don't need anything.

Then I thought that since I have 4 plants in a 4 ft row that they would probably benefit from it. Today I applied both the tomato-tone and the kelp meal. So we'll see.

Also, I read a little about pruning tomatoes. The beefsteak is already growing on a single main stem. The cherry tomato has 2 main stems and so does one of the medium size tomatoes. The other medium size tomato has 3 main stems. I decided to prune one of those off. It had some flowers on it but no tomatoes. Maybe that will help a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment